sustainable website design
together we can turn the internet "green"
The Internet emits greenhouse gases at every stage from designing websites, through hosting them on servers, transmitting them through the internet, to finally displaying them by the end user. With less than 5 billion Internet users, about 830 million tons of co2 are released into the atmosphere each year. This is more than double the co2 emissions of the whole of Great Britain.
why do we need sustainable websites?
At "Deft Media", we solve this problem at the source by designing and developing ecologically sustainable websites. We also optimize existing websites in terms of speed and friendliness both for the user and the environment.
Helping the environment:
Surprisingly, both of these goals go hand in hand when building a website.
Smaller and faster websites use up to 95% less server power and storage, creating less electricity usage, therefore less co2 emissions.
Here are the 3 key points a sustainable website has to tick:
- Cleanly programmed, fast websites with only the most valuable content (no bloated frameworks, each website with only necessary and useful code)
- Hosting a website on a green host provider (that are either using only renewable energy sources or are offsetting their co2 usage)
- Mobile first approach with an energy saving design (clean to find information, dark interface color, the less energy usage by the end device and less eye strain)
- Faster website that ranks higher in google and have smaller bounce rate.
- Clearer message to the visitor
- Security. Custom made websites are much harder to hack.